2013 Top 5

TV shows


Mad Men | The Office | Solsidan | Call the Midwife | Modern Family

After being behind for years I finally caught up with Mad Men. Having all those seasons to watch certainly brightened up those long wintery months at the beginning of the year. Now that The Office has ended I only download two shows - Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother, but I am not doing a great job keeping up with them. Instead I've started watching more TV on TV, something I never used to do. Most notably, I've discovered a couple of gems among the Swedish TV shows, as well as Call the Midwife earlier this year.

Honorable mentions (mini series)


Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter | Top of the Lake

This is another discovery that came with watching more TV, mini series. I think both of these were brilliant and I can definitely recommend them.


Films


Despicable Me 2 | I Give It a Year | Monica Z | Ego | Mig äger ingen

If someone had told me a few years ago that I'd include so many Swedish films in my yearly top 5 one day I would have thought they were joking. This year I watched way more films than last year and there were many I enjoyed, but somehow the Swedish ones were some of the ones that stood out the most. Of course nothing could beat the long awaited Despicable Me 2 though, nor the brilliantly funny I Give It a Year.


Books


And the Mountains Echoed | Water for Elephants | Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed | Bloom | The Rules of Inheritance

I've been slacking with my reading this year. Once I find a book I greatly enjoy I finish it in no time. That was the case with And the Mountains Echoed, for example. I was so excited when I learned Khaled Hosseini had published a new book because I loved his previous ones so much, and it did not disappoint. Actually I really enjoyed most of the books I finished in 2013. It's so hard for me to find books that truly draw me in these days though. I've started many books this year but never made it past the first few chapters. Since this is an area I'd like to improve in next year I'd appreciate some books recommendations. What are some of the best books you've read this year?

No comments