Trips in 2014: A day in Gdynia.

After a lot of ifs and buts we ended up going to Poland on Friday evening as planned. Mum got a call from the ferry company a week earlier and was told that the ferry we (i.e. Per and I plus my whole family except for Cissi), had tickets for was going to be cancelled. At first they said we wouldn't be able to travel that night at all but then a few days later we learned that another one of their ferries would be operating and that we could go on that instead. The problem was that it wasn't one of their regular cruise ships but a cargo-ship. Yeah, fun. If it hadn't been a special occasion we would have waited and travelled later but as it was we decided to go. It was only one way after all, on the way home we'd go on a regular cruise ship.

I'd be lying if I said the journey was pleasant. At one point I looked around myself in disbelief and couldn't believe I was spending my Friday night stuck on a cargo-ships in the middle of the Baltic Sea with my family and oh I don't know, about two hundred truckers. Oh and we didn't have our own bathroom in our cabins, eww. To make matters even worse we were forced to wake up just after five. It was an interesting experience, to say the least. But, there was a bar, albeit tiny, which made the whole ordeal somewhat less insufferable. (There was one brand of white wine and one of red, other than they mostly served beer and whiskey, which says a lot about the nature of their usual clientele haha.)

Finally, at half seven in the morning we reached our destination. We caught a cab downtown and walked around for a bit because it was too early to visit grandma straight away. The weather was lovely and it definitely felt like spring. I got to see the city's landmark fountain for the first time since it was renovated, but of course it isn't turned on at this time of year.

After having some coffee we met up with Cissi who'd arrived a few days earlier and caught the bus to where grandma lives. There was some initial confusion about the cake mum had ordered but finally we managed to locate it. The whole reason we made the journey was to celebrate my grandma's 90th birthday so not bringing a cake would have been rather anticlimactic haha. Grandma was very happy to receive so many guests at once and said she'd never had a birthday celebration like this before. The sweet staff of the retirement home where she lives had prepared a room for us with a pretty table cloth and balloons and everything.

After a couple of hours it was time to say goodbye again, which is always a sad moment. We spent the rest of the day walking around downtown and shopping at the large new mall that opened last year which I hadn't been to yet. Finally in the evening we had dinner at the Indian restaurant we tend to frequent whenever we go to Poland these days, and then we had to catch a cab back to the ferry terminal and board the ferry. This time around there was plenty to do onboard and we got a really nice cabin, but unfortunately our psycho neighbour kept us awake most of the night because he was trying to break into his (or his friend's?) cabin using what sounded like an iron rod. Yeah, I can't even. Needless to say we were very tired when we got home on Sunday morning and spent most of the day just hanging out at home doing nothing. I am so grateful that we came home during the weekend and not on a workday like we have in the past. Going to work after two nights of next to no sleep would have been torture.

All in all the actual journey was pretty awful but seeing how happy grandma was to have us all there made it worth it. I am so glad that our schedules aligned so we could all visit her at once. It's a memory I'll always cherish ♥

No comments