Around here: Lately...



Last week was mostly cloudy and grey as per usual but so far this week the sky has been more blue than cloudy and I've actually seen the sun a couple of times! We never got any snow that stuck around in the end and now that the days are getting longer I sometimes catch myself feeling like we're on the verge of spring, even though I obviously know better. It's just so refreshing to see some colours when I look out my window at work, and to leave work before it's completely dark. Now if we could only get a weekend with nice weather I would be a very happy camper (still haven't used my DSLR this year, what).

Our Christmas decorations are long gone of course but I still haven't been able to figure out what to do with the gingerbread house. I don't particularly feel like eating it after it's been out for so long, but I can't bring myself to simply throw it out either. I guess I'll just procrastinate doing something about it for a while longer, it's still January after all.

Remember how I was feeling overwhelmed by how much stuff I have after Christmas, like I usually do? This time around I actually acted on those feelings and filled two bags with books I know I'll never reread, some DVDs (on that note if anyone wants The OC or Grey's Anatomy seasons 1 & 2 for free I'll send them to you if you pay for the postage) and kitchenware and dropped them off at a local second-hand shop. The old lady volunteer who receieved the bags was so grateful and kind; it made me feel like I actually did a good deed even though it was mostly out of selfish reasons. Now that I know how easy it is to drop things off there I am sure I will do it again soon. Living in a small apartment is a curse but also a blessing because it forces you to continually go through your things and reflect on whether you really need them all or not.

Now that I've tackled my little home improvement projects I am focusing on getting a head start on my New Years resolutions, mainly the ones to read more and to finish my 2013 photobook. I already completed a few spreads for the latter which I will be posting here soon, and I've bought six new books so far this year that I am looking forward to reading. Oh, and five of those books where used, so I bascially only paid for postage, and I will donate them once I've read them if I don't plan to reread them - see how I am trying not to accumulate more things :P I started reading The Light Between Oceans last week and I've really enjoyed it so far, but then my mum recommended this Swedish book to me when I was home this weekend and I fell so in love with it that I just had to move it to the top of my list straight away. It's such a sweet and endearing read. At last I feel excited about reading again :)

No comments