Outings: Kolmården Zoo.



I'm slowly but steadily working on catching up with everything after my vacation... After this week things should calm down a little bit. I know you're waiting to hear about Greece, but since I prefer to update chronologically I'll start with the day before we left, Sunday the 3rd. It's when we drove those five hours north to Stockholm, and stopped by the Kolmården zoo on our way there. In retrospect, it wasn't the best time to go because it turned out to be one of the warmest days of the year and as you can imagine the animals weren't that active in the 30+ degree heat. However, it's not often that we get an opportunity to go there - I hadn't been there since 2009 and P. hadn't been since the 90s - so I am glad we went anyway.

In any case, here are some photos from our day at the zoo. (Most of the animal photos are taken with my telephoto lens which isn't great and I normally never use it, but I wouldn't have been able to get close enough with the prime lenses I tend to stick to these days.) The first animals we saw were the bears... One of them was playing in the water. It was so cute to see such a large animal being so playful :) After the bears came the tigers (with some smaller animals inbetween).




The view from the Kolmården zoo is so beautiful, but you can't really see it here due to the heat haze.




We went to the dolphin show as soon as we could to make sure we'd get in, but it turns out we needn't have worried because the zoo was far less crowded than usual, probably because it was so warm. I love dolphins, they're so stunning. (While I don't think it's right to keep them captive, this zoo claims to do a lot of great things for them as a species, so that eases my conscience a bit.)




Since my last visit to Kolmården they added a new cableway over their safari park. In the past you could drive through in your own car or get a bus but the cableway has replaced that option and I found it so much better this way. The view over the surrounding area is beautiful and it's easier to spot the animals from above than from the ground. It's not everyday you see lions and giraffes in a Swedish forest...





Once we were back on the ground again we visited the apes. They were not as active as I remember them being in 2009 but we got to see some of them playing around at least.






Last but not least, the elephants which were some of the final animals we saw before we drove the final hours to Stockholm and had dinner with my aunt, uncle and cousin. Needless to say we were beyond exhausted when we finally made it to our hotel by the airport late in the evening, and we had to get up just after four in the morning to catch our flight the next day. We were soo relieved by the time we reached our hotel in Greece and could relax at last. But, more on that later :)


4 comments

  1. Jag måste vara den enda i hela världen som aldrig varit på Kolmården, haha :p Jättefina bilder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack! Inte så konstigt att du inte varit där med tanke på att du bor så långt norrut! Men har du vägarna förbi någon gång kan jag definitivt rekommendera ett besök :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Tack så mycket! Åh, såg att du har en mops, vad avundsjuk jag blir! Sötaste hunden som finns ju :D

      Delete