Trips in 2014: Warsaw, part 1/2.



So! Last week I went to Warsaw with mum, Jenny and Fanny to visit Cissi who is spending the autumn there. My only prior experience of Warsaw was a warm day in the summer of 2002 when mum, Cissi, Jenny and I caught the train from Gdynia early in the morning, arrived in Warsaw four hours later and spent the rest of the day ticking off one landmark after another in a great rush before it was time to catch a stifling hot train back north again in the evening. It was a fun day, but needless to say my memories are a bit hazy. This time around we arrived on Wednesday afternoon and stayed until Sunday morning, so we had plenty of time to explore the city at a more humane pace :)

Since October has been unseasonably warm up here I'm actually still wearing my light summer coat and ballerina flats most days. However, when I checked the weather forecast for Warsaw the day before we left I found that it was going to be much colder than here so I dug out my winter coat and decided to bring that with me. The moment I set foot on the train that was going to take me to my hometown where I'd be joining my travelling companions I realized my mistake - I hadn't thought to wear my winter boots. It was supposed to be close to freezing in Warsaw so I knew that my ballet flats would not do. Fortunately an emergency stop at the mall in Lund on our way to the airport solved the problem. I basically grabbed the first warm shoes I could find, but as it turns out I've ended up really liking them.

The flight from Malmö went smoothly and in the afternoon we found ourselves at our hotel in Warsaw. It was way past lunch time and I'd noticed a Vapiano restaurant just around the corner so that's where we headed first. I have such a hate/love relationship with Vapiano - most of the time when I go there it's terribly crowded and you have to wait around forever to get a table, let alone something to eat. This time we arrived at the perfect time though since it was neither lunch time nor dinner time yet and the restaurant was practically deserted. It was my best Vapiano experience so far, hands down.



After lunch we explored our surroundings a bit more and then in the evening Cissi was done with work and came over to our hotel to meet up with us. We spent all of Thursday together since she had the day off. Wednesday had been relatively warm but Thursday was a different story - suddenly it felt almost like winter and I was so grateful for my warm coat and shoes as we walked around the city centre for hours. We spent a good few hours at the Copernicus Science Centre which was a welcome change from the cold. Here are some photos from various locations around the city that we visited:








In the afternoon we went to one of Warsaw's Wedel chocolate cafés, yum :)




I was so happy when I woke up on Friday morning to a blue sky and sunshine. Our plans for the day included lots of time spent outdoors so it was just perfect. As soon as we'd finished breakfast we caught a taxi to the Wilanow Palace. I'd only seen it in pictures before but it was even prettier in real life, especially on such a beautiful autumn day.









Our next stop was the Łazienki Park which was equally lovely.








Once we got back to the city centre we walked past the Palace of Culture and Science which is probably Warsaw's most famous landmark, and a place that we would be revisiting the next day.




On Friday evening Cissi joined us again and we went out for dinner at this really cute restaurant. We were so tired from all the walking we did that day and the cold too, so we didn't stay out very late though. The next day ended up being equally busy if not more so since we still had a lot of ground left to cover, but I'll save those photos for my next entry :)

No comments